Monday, May 16, 2011

Sept 2010 Mendenhall Glacier walkabout

This series of photos is from Sept 2010 during a drop off and day spent hiking around on the Mendenhall Glacier. As beautiful as it is, it can be exhausting.
At higher elevation near the south branch of the glacier, remnant patches of snow are still present this time of year. The new snows should start falling within the month.

Another erratic.



The raw breakage of the stone is shown my the acute angles. I remember an engineer I had on a tour many years ago. He walked over to me with two large pieces of stone he had in his hands and then told me his credentials. This man was very awed by the destructive power of these glaciers. This is all granite.


Rocks, boulders, sand, supported up on ice pedestals. The material insulates the ice immediate to it; the ice around it melts away.


A lesser lateral moraine along the west edge of the glacier. Beautiful design on mother nature.

No comments: